Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Woof?

I. Really. Really. Really. Want. A. Dog.

I don't know how to emphasize that so that it conveys the truth about how much I want a dog. Does everyone know how much dogs can help with therapy, especially for people with autism? Check out places like 4 Paws for Ability (http://www.4pawsforability.org/autismdogs.html), which train service dogs specifically for kiddos with autism.

I've thought about going the service dog route, but I think I can get what I need with a very well-behaved dog that I've brought up myself. I would train him very well and make sure he knew how to behave around kids, cats, other dogs, in crowded situations, in public, you name it. Even teaching and training dogs is a lot of fun for me. I could do that all day.

There is almost nothing better than cuddling with a good-sized dog down on the floor. I need a dog that I can really be physical with and play with. Leigh, who has grown up with German Shepherds her whole life, thinks that a small female German Shepherd would be perfect, since they're super smart dogs.

I'm trying with my entire being to be patient about this, but what if I just can't be? I try to tolerate people, but I love animals. I need a dog.

1 comment:

  1. You know what Lydia? 4 Paws has dogs up for adoption, those who are really well trained but for some reason didn't make it through the program. I wonder if something like that might be an option for you?

    I've also had several people tell me their regular dogs have been very therapeutic for their kids as well.

    I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get your wish one day.

    ReplyDelete