Monday, May 10, 2010

An answer to prayer

As grateful as I've been to have a case manager, and as nice and Jeff is, he complicates my life more than he simplifies it. If my doctor and therapist say up, he says down. His ideas of what is good for me are just completely different from my doctors', and it confuses me.

The other issue is that he thinks I'm higher functioning than I am. He talks to me and treats me like I'm an adult, then says I'm feigning it when I can't understand him. He talks too fast and I can't follow. He uses too many words. I don't for a second think that I'm unintelligent, but I do have auditory processing issues that require people not to go too fast or use a lot of words all at once, if I'm to understand. He thinks that because my IQ is high, I should be able to do things like remember to eat and make phone calls. He doesn't understand that IQ does not equate to functional abilities. This is one reason why I'm getting testing done to prove that I'm not really 22 years old, functionally (the other reason being to prove to the SSI judge).

Anyway, I didn't want to ditch Jeff because sometimes I need him and I definitely need services through him, like an aide to come to my new house to help me. But he was complicating things. Good ol' Chloe (Chloe, my good friend in Canada who has Asperger's and a service dog and we have a lot in common!) prayed about it, and guess what?

Jeff is switching jobs at the end of the month, and I get a new case manager! This time, I get a girl, since I want a girl and Jeff thinks he can swing it. Maybe this one will work out better.

I'm hoping!

4 comments:

  1. We will pray that you get a girl caseworker and one that understands.

    Yes, prayer does work ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good! I am glad! I hope it works out. He does not sound like he was helping you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well on the good side he did have respect for you as a person and didn't treat you like you're stupid, but on the down side he didn't give you credit for why he was there - if you could do all the things he thought you could do, chances are he'd be out of a job! Here's hoping the next one is a little more receptive to why they are with you and what they are trying to achieve for you.

    Love & happy thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Chloe's a powerful person! I hope you get someone really good.

    ReplyDelete