Thursday, May 27, 2010

An aide for Lydia

No one can argue that there aren't a lot of helpful people in my life: 2 therapists, a psychiatrist, one fantastic endocrinologist who truly cares about all of me, a new case manager (her name is Star, and she doesn't really like cats...), and soon-to-be "Housing at Home" people who will help me budget, clean, cook, and shop.

Can you tell me what's missing from all of this?

I need someone who will go to the mall, go to the library, and do puzzles with me. Yes, Mom does all of that, but I'd love to have someone closer to my age, you know? Leigh would happily do those things, but a 4-hour-trip for a quick run to the mall is just out of the question, obviously.

So I embark on finding an aide. I will pay someone $5/hour to... be my friend. I've spent the last year trying to find friends to hang out with, and it just hasn't worked. So far, 4 people have responded to my ad on Craigslist. (I realize Craigslist has some safety issues, but they will come to the house when Mom is home to meet me). This person will help me get out in the community more, as well as hang out at home if that's what I want to do.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you find someone good Lydia. Good for you for putting yourself out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia, I too hope you find a good aide. I understand the need for someone other than a parent to do things with you.

    ReplyDelete