Friday, September 18, 2009

Kitty and the phone

I really, really don't like to talk on the phone. I have a really hard time understanding the other person, and I say, "what?" so many times, it can be embarrassing. I get frustrated. I also can't seem to figure out that the person on the phone doesn't know what's going on where I am, and I confuse whoever I'm talking to. I just really, really don't like to talk on the phone. If I'm even a little stressed out, it's even worse. If I'm stressed, I usually end up melting down over having to talk on the phone. It gets interesting when I need to talk because I'm upset, but the only way to do it is to talk to a friend on the phone, which is what happened last night.

My kitty has been sick. You know how much I love and need my kitty, right? I need cats like you need people in your life. They're that important. Well, she's been throwing up daily and peeing a lot. We took her to the vet to get her teeth cleaned because her gums were infected, and he was extremely concerned that her kidneys were failing. She's close to 12 years old, after all. Kidney failure is fatal. My kitty. Fatal. Now, I realize that I'm going to lose my kitty at some point, and being that she is nearly 12, I know that it's going to be sooner rather than later, unfortunately. The problem is that because my health insurance is so expensive, my mom says that we couldn't afford to have a new cat. We would need that bit of extra money that we currently spend to feed the cat. I'm still waiting to get on state health insurance, still waiting on SSI. It's taking forever. Last night, I just about lost it.
I texted my friend Emily, hoping that she'd be able to go online so that I could explain the kitty situation and ask her to pray about it. She couldn't go online and called instead. I was upset and would have exploded if I tried to talk on the phone much, so after some whining and "I don't know, Em" and "I don't want to talk" and some more "I don't know!" I got off the phone. I texted her and explained. She prayed.
God answered her prayer with Magic Words: it will pass. The hopeless feeling, the guilty feeling of taking my parents' money, the panic over my cat... it will pass. And right then, it did start to pass.

I got the phone call from the doctor at 9:30 this morning. The verdict? She has an auto-immune issue that's causing her muscles to break down and upset her stomach. She needs different food and pro-biotics, and she'll be okay. Her kidneys are a-okay. Fore the foreseeable future, all is well. Praise God.

Here's my beautiful kitty, right after she got home yesterday, still partially under anesthesia. Her head was bobbing all around, so I had to hold it still. She was pathetic yet oh-so-adorable.

Elsie and Lydia, together again.


4 comments:

  1. Bless your heart. I understand about animals. I've said more than once, "Thank God for the dog." What would I do without my sweet little dog?

    I had a cat for almost 17 years. We understood each other pefectly. Loved her with all my heart. She passed a couple of years ago.

    I have two other cats, but one is mostly feral and the other a rescue. The rescue cat is wonderful, but still a bit skidish due to her former trauma. I miss having a lap cat, but three animals is enoguh for now. Someday I'll have another.

    SO very glad your kitty is ok:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry it's been so stressful with your cat. I hope Elsie is around for a long time to come. Glad she's feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know that Elsie is still around, and that she has an autoimmune disease.

    With the kidneys, in 2001 my cat Timmy died in just that way. I haven't had a new cat since, because Timmy was irreplaceable, and my family doesn't like pets after Milly and Molly the rabbits died last year.

    Great to hear the animal tales from the other bloggers and posters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dog Meg is the keeper of my sanity. I would be lost without her so I totally understand about Elsie. Glad she's going to be OK. Do you have some animal charities that can help with costs? We have the PDSA and the Blue Cross as well as the Scottish SPCA. Could be worth an ask.

    ReplyDelete