Sunday, September 27, 2009

Big plans, I had

I had big plans. Yes, those were some big plans, I had. I was going to tell you something really, really exciting today. But alas, those plans have been squashed. I'm sorry, friends; this post will be a disappointment. Be prepared to get flexible.

My mom and I found a group of adults with HFA/Asperger's that meets in my city. Now, it's mostly men, and it's mostly Asperger's, but there's are a few women and girls, and a few with PDD or HFA. There is actually one other girl who has HFA, and I really wanted to meet this girl! I joined the group online. They were going to the baseball game today. Great! I suffered through 4 hours of work, made even more painfully slow by my anticipation, and we went to the ballpark. The group was meeting at 1:30 at the statue, but I had to work, so we got there at 2:30. The group leader (a parent of a boy with PDD) said that she would leave mine and my mom's ticket at the window. We parked. We went to the window and... no tickets. What? Yes, they had the leader's name, but no, they didn't have any tickets. What? Under the group name? No, no tickets. I'm sorry ma'am. No tickets.

No tickets. No game.

I. Can. Be. Flexible. I will not cry. I will not shout. I will not melt. I will be flexible. I will go into my own world, texting Leigh a few times, until I can come back out and be calm. And, amazingly, I did just that.

We got ice cream instead (Rita's chocolate ice with coffee custard, anyone? Mmm, ice cream). We looked at cats in the pet store. We got catnip for Elsie. Mom made it as good a day as it could have been, other than going to the baseball game with the potential of a new friend. When I got home, I e-mailed two of the group members (the girl who has HFA, and a guy who has Asperger's and loves cats). I explained that I missed the game today because of a mix-up, but that I really wanted to make a friend in the area, and what do they like to do? And I see that you like cats. I love cats. So, anyway, maybe that will go somewhere.

I'd been looking forward to this event for a month. Now I have to wait another month for the next event. Sigh. I'm sorry for the disappointing post, friends. Sometimes, you have to be flexible, though. I knew you could do it. And hey, you can be okay, because Elsie got some catnip out of the whole deal, and she's really cute when she rolls around in it!

6 comments:

  1. lol, cats on catnip...

    hey, high five for being flexible. And we could always go to a baseball game sometime, if you want. I know I'm not a potential ASD/Asperger's friend in the area, but I'm better than nothing, I guess. :) Also, if something else comes up and you want someone to go with you, you know who to call! er... text!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to go to Big Amusement Park in This City. Ahem. That I accidentally typed out the name of in the previous comment, so I had to delete it. Oops. That's where I want to go. Ooh, RIDES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Lydia! First to find a group which might meet your social needs. Then for being flexible. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia,
    Congratulations on surviving flexibility.

    If you ever want pointers on writing that book yu mention, please don't hesitate to ask!

    Keep up the great work!

    ~Jon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Lydia!! Well done coping so well! Would you not be able to arrange to meet with the two you have stuff in common with outside of the main group? It could be you don't have to wait a whole month...

    ReplyDelete