Monday, August 23, 2010

Growing up and other stuff

I went to my "other half's" wedding over the weekend. We grew up going to summer diabetes camp together from the age of 12 onward. She's always been one of my best friends, and in touch or out of touch, I couldn't imagine life without her cheerful presence. It occurred to me, and I mentioned to the people we sat with at the reception, that it's truly worth having the lifelong disesase for knowing Katelyn. I wouldn't trade her for "health" (in quotes because who's to say something else wouldn't just be wrong instead?!). She's a true friend.

He was our camp counselor for many years, and they fell in love over a long time (yes, he's about 10 years older than us, but she has quite a mature mind and always has). It's quite the fairy tale, eh?

I got to talk about work, Elsie, and autism at the wedding with our table. They all seemed very interested (I kept an eye out and tried not to talk for too long...). They laughed and smiled and asked me lots of questions. I told them about my book and wrote down the information on napkins for them. One of the men sitting with us reached across the table and said, "I'd like to shake your hand, if you don't mind. I'm so impressed by everything you've accomplished. It can't have been easy." I felt... well, confused, and kind of neat, and kind of embarrassed. No one has ever asked to shake my hand before. All this to say that I'm not sure I minded :)

In other news, Elsie P and I are doing well. We get cable and phone and internet on Wednesday. Now's a good time to mention that my computer got spyware via Facebook and completely pooped out on me. Mom was nice enough to pay the $100 repair bill and get it all fixed up nice for me to tide me over until we can afford a new computer. I'm very grateful. Anyway, I will only go on Facebook now from the library (not in order to infect their computers but because they have super-strong anti-spyware programs at places like libraries), so you won't be seeing me there as much. Oh, well. That's one way to cure a semi-addiction.

I went to the dentist today and got no less than 20 shots (I stopped counting at 20) in my gums. They did scaling and root planing. And they only did the right side! The numbness was miserable, and the scaling and root planing hurt my ears like crazy, and now I'm all sore. Bring on the ice cream, eh? Mom said, "...and yogurt, and baked potatoes, and milk..." and I said, "And ice cream!" Truth be told, I think that since the numbness is gone I'm good enough to eat most foods at the point, although I did get the obligatory milkshake on my way home.

Off to take care of other business online now then go home to Elsie P!

2 comments:

  1. OUCH!!

    Great wedding story tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know people are interested! And they were interesting, too!

    Hope you are able to develop a business card for ocassions like the wedding. Put it in the palm of your hand and then shake. And it can also go with an autism card in your purse.

    Spyware is often a very big problem. I had thought and believed that cloud computing would reduce this, but apparently not so!

    Ah, the milkshake! Some people have three milkshakes a day when they want to eat.

    ReplyDelete