Saturday, April 10, 2010

And you wonder why I love the mail

1. I got a letter from Temple Grandin. A real letter. It basically says that she had social problems too, that she talks about it in her books that I can read if I want, and it says to get a good mentor in my field and make sure they know to tell me when I'm being rude so I learn. I like that advice. I wish there were someone at work who could do that for me, but there isn't. There's no one I really click with.

2. I got a notice that an apartment is coming available in the very near future in the low-income housing. Elsie and Lydia: A New Adventure!

3 comments:

  1. Temple Grandin is my hero. Her books really helped me understand autism so much better and gave me hope. Did you write to her for advice?

    As for a mentor. Hopefully someone just right will turn up!

    Good luck with everything and I'm crossing my fingers about the apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I'm so impressed that she replied to you. And I am glad the apt will be available soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do go through The Way I See It and The Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships which are more like textbooks (than Emergence [read Autistics and the Real World: since it was written in the 1980s, some of the advice may be patronising and/or insulting. Your mileage may vary!] and Thinking in Pictures: though Learning the Ways of the World [chapter 5 of Thinking in Pictures] is good).

    And, yes, her animal books have great examples of social and anti-social behaviour (probably Making Animals Happy especially).

    She lived in a "Leave it to Beaver" world in the 1950s.

    Grandin does reply to most letters. She even had a letter which was a Valentine sent to her. "I have learnt from experience not to reply to that sort of letter because the attention just encourages it".

    And as for 2: hooray for the adventures of Lydia and Elsie!

    ReplyDelete