Saturday, March 5, 2011

Humbled

I've never, ever done this before, and I don't feel right doing it. Basically, I'm slightly desperate, and I can't give up until I'm sure I've tried everything.

So, I'm trying to get a diabetic/autism assistance dog. The dog would be able to detect high and low blood sugars and alert me to them (having had diabetes for 20 years, I no longer feel when my blood sugars gets too low or high very well at all, and it's dangerous), and it would help me out in public, with panic attacks, crossing streets, etc.

I was prepared to have to raise a ton of money for the dog, and still am, but now, I'm stuck before we even get there.

There is literally no one who can train my dog. The organizations that train diabetic alert dogs will not train one for someone who lives in Pittsburgh.

There is a trainer in Cleveland who says she might be able to help me train my own dog (which I am up to doing)....

The kicker? She wants $125/hour just to sit down and talk to her in person about the dog. I've never heard of charging for an interview. But she's kind of my only option. I would have to travel to Cleveland (2 1/2 hours each way?) and back along with paying her for the consultation.

I am prepared to approach organizations about my fundraising and getting family involved when I'm raising money for the actual dog... but I don't feel like I can do that just to raise money to meet with a potential trainer.

So, as humble as it gets... can anyone help me?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my Lydia...it seems like a lot of money just for an interview.

    I agree, it is very humbling to raise funds for a service dog. It is so worth it tho in the end.

    I am praying that there is a way for this all to happen.

    Hugs and prayers,
    Mrs. E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw this yesterday at barnes and noble and thought immediately of you... weird eh?

    http://specialchildren.about.com/od/booksonaspergersyndrome/gr/allcatshaveAS.htm

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever spoken to anyone at Keystone Service Systems? They have several different agencies around PA and some other states, and I know in the central area they have Susquehanna Service Dogs.

    I can get you a contact person there to talk to who could say if they can help or if they can point you in the right direction. I'll email my friend who works there and see if she can tell me a name of someone at SSD who would be good to contact.

    ReplyDelete