Saturday, December 12, 2009

Dilemma: the solution

My computer is at the doctor's office (AKA, my dad's) with a virus. Dad will fix it up and get it back to me in a day or so, but until then, I come to you from the guest that is Mom's computer.

Now, just gotta type fast before anyone catches me on it!

I've thought long and hard about whether to disclose my autism or not in my job interview, and I've come to a decision. Given that it feels right at the time (and it may not; it didn't at my last interview), I am going to be upfront about it. The main reason is that if I'm working for a company who would not hire me simply because of my autism, then that's not a company I want to work for. It's a bad sign if people are going to treat me negatively for that reason alone. I understand that it happens, and not infrequently, out in the "real world." At the same time, this is an organization that specifically works with children and adults with developmental disabilities. If they do not see the true worth of people with such disabilities, then I don't want to work for them.

I am a loving daughter, adoring sister, and good friend. I am valued in spite of and also because of my autism. I want to carry that into all aspects of my life, work included. Wish me luck.

3 comments: