Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Birthday and surgery

Tomorrow is my birthday. I'll be 22. Every time I say it, my mom says, "Oh, to be 22 again." Well, shucks, I don't think it's all that great. I'd rather be older, or younger, or anything. I'm so stuck in the middle of childhood and adulthood right now (perhaps like most people are at 17 or 18) that I don't know what I am. I'd rather not be 22.

My first birthday present was that I had my surgery today. I am oh-so-gingerly sitting on the edge of my computer desk chair, listening to Mom say, "DO NOT bend! Stop! Do not bend over!" But I want to pet the cat, of course. This will be interesting. Every time I want to hold Elsie, Mom has to pick her up for me. I hold Elsie a lot.

I was supposed to go over to my dad's tonight, but that got rescheduled to Thursday because of the surgery. We'll have chocolate peanut butter ice cream and I'll hang out with my baby sisters, who are 7 and 8. They're the sweetest kids in the entire world. My pride and joy, truly. I can't wait to celebrate my birthday with them, because any time spent with them is fun.

Tomorrow night, my aunt and uncle are coming and we're all having cake and ice cream. I'm excited to visit with my favorite aunt and uncle. They're just really good-hearted people. Mom got me a gluten free birthday cake. It smells better than anything I've ever smelled in my entire life, and I'm not kidding you. It's also beautiful. Here, see for yourself. Pretty, huh? It's yellow cake with chocolate icing. Mmm, GF birthday cake!


Then, Friday, Leigh, Jen, and Megan are driving down. My parents will be out until 2 A.M., so we'll have the house to ourselves. First, we're going to go meet Justin for dinner so that Justin can meet everyone, as he wants to do. For the record, Justin and I are not dating. It was my decision. I just wasn't ready. But, we're still good friends, and it'll be good for him to meet Leigh, especially. Then, we'll come back here and watch a movie and hang out. I can't wait for Jen and Megan to meet the one and only Elsie Penelope! I'll still be sore and unable to drive from my surgery, so friends will be a huge pick-me-up. Leigh is sleeping over and coming to to a therapy appointment with me in the morning. I'd say every other time I go, either Mom or Leigh is with me. I have a lot of trouble with the conversation part of therapy, and sometimes I don't accurately explain things the way I want to, and other times, I don't remember the therapist's response. It's hard. So, it's really helpful to have someone I trust come with me. Leigh is great at it, and I don't think she realizes how much I appreciate when she comes.

Sunday I have a discussion group with my autism group. I'm going to bake cookies because, of course, it was my birthday and everyone should get something out of that!

So that's my birthday week. I think you can agree that, even with the surgery, it's pretty much perfect. I know Elsie and I are excited!

5 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful week, Lydia! What a week, you had surgery (may you be on a quick and solid mend!) and you spoke your peace with your college. I hope you feel really good about the things you are doing. I think you are amazing. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great birthday.

    I don't know that the trapped feeling leaves whatever age we are. It's just that we learn to cope with it or reframe it.

    But I did read someone say: "Trapped? You have a functional body!" (Not to me, but to a woman named Vanessa Vega).

    That was a good way to take care. Good to know Justin and you are still mates. And he gets to meet Leigh and Jane and Megan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LYDIA!!!

    Cake looks AMAZING, and spread out celebrations are always the best way to go. A friend of mine introduced me to her family tradition of the birthday octave - you get out of chores and celebrate for eight days before and after your actual day. Brilliant!

    Glad the surgery is over and wishing you a speedy and trouble free recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with your view points; the way you take your view point is proper. As there are limitations for each work, so you are also in the right way. I am your loyal follower as I too have same view point. excellent post

    ReplyDelete